Home FAQs

Adelaide Insurance


Straightforward answers to common questions

We’ve been providing insurance for more than 20 years, so we’ve established that often it is the same questions that crop up time and time again. If you’ve got a question, the answer might be here.

If it isn’t, feel free to get in touch and one of our team will be happy to help you.

How can I make my insurance cost less?

If you want to bring down the price of your annual motor premium

Increase your voluntary excess – Agree to increase the amount that you are willing to pay in the event of a claim for a discount on your premium. Remember, in a non-fault claim you may recover your excess via your legal assistance.

Change your vehicle – The engine size (cc), value and type all make a difference. Generally, smaller engines and cheaper cars generate lower premiums

Improve security – An alarm, immobiliser or tracker fitted to your vehicle can generate premium discounts.

Park safely overnight – Parking in a garage can reduce your insurance. If you have a driveway, let us know. Off-road parking, such as communal parking areas, must be treated as “road”.

Limit additional drivers – Only add drivers who use your vehicle regularly.

When does my cover start and can a policy be backdated?

Your policy can begin up to 30 days after you have paid your initial deposit. Under no circumstances can insurance cover be backdated.

Fault and non-fault claims – what is the difference?

A fault claim is any claim resulting in your own insurer being liable (paying for the claim). For example, a theft claim is a fault claim. Even though you may not be to blame, your own insurer would be liable because there is no other party to recover the costs from.

If your insurer pays for your damages in a claim where a third party is to blame, but then re-coups all their costs via the third party’s insurer, that is a non-fault claim because your insurer was not liable (recovered their costs for the claim).

What is protected no claims bonus (NCB)?

If you have full NCB, you may be able to add protected no claims bonus which allows claims against your own policy without losing your NCB. Please check your policy wording for full details.

What is an insurance excess?

This is the first part of each and every claim which you (not your insurer) must pay. There are two types of excess:

Compulsory excess: This has been applied as a requirement by your insurer and will vary according to your personal circumstances and the terms of cover provided. A compulsory excess may be required if you drive a particular vehicle or you have inexperienced drivers on your policy. There is also a compulsory excess for fire, theft or windscreen claims.

Voluntary excess: This will apply where you agree to pay a greater part of each claim, in addition to your compulsory excess. A voluntary excess can be increased or decreased at your request and it will usually affect your premium.

If I have an accident or incident and I do not wish to make a claim, do I still have to notify my insurer?

Yes, you must tell your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your file is always fully updated, even if no claim is to be made.

Why might I need motor legal assistance?

Having motor legal assistance could save you a pretty penny if you are involved in a motoring accident and need to make a claim, or if another driver makes a claim against you.

It can pay for legal fees such as solicitors’ costs, as well as compensating for lost earnings and even the excess you have to pay under your car insurance policy.

Does my car insurance policy allow me to drive someone else’s car?

Check your car insurance schedule and certificate. If you are covered to drive other cars it will include the following wording, or similar:

‘The policyholder only may also drive a car not owned by them or hired to them under a hire purchase agreement and which is not used in connection with the motor trade.’

Before driving someone else’s car, you must have the owner’s permission and  their car must have valid insurance already. You can only use the car for the purposes stated on your certificate.

The extension to drive other cars only applies to the policyholder and NOT named drivers. It only provides cover for third party damage or injury, and NOT fire, theft or accidental damage.

Can I claim on my car insurance policy if my car is hit by an uninsured or unknown driver while parked?

Yes, if you have comprehensive cover, your insurer will either repair your car or settle your claim as set out in the terms and conditions of your policy.

If the driver is unknown or uninsured there is no third party to claim off.  This is deemed by the insurer as a ‘fault’ incident and may affect your No Claims Discount.

If you have third party, fire and theft cover, you are not insured for this type of accident.

Does my car insurance policy cover windscreen damage?

Yes, if you have a Comprehensive policy and use the policy’s approved repairer.

In most cases if the windscreen can be repaired, there’s no cost to you.